Store Bought Favourites

Sometimes It's nice to just buy something ready made!

The bad side to this? I make them better! It's true. Store bought food normally sucks. Sorry, but it's true. Gluten free stuff HAS to be fresh to be appreciated.

It's also way too pricey. But i'll list the ones I think are worth the money on a lazy day.

NAUGHTY INDULGENCE

1 - Melinda’s gluten free goodies “heavenly chocolate fudge brownie”
Great for special occasions as a cake or mini cup cakes, i like them fudgey so i undercook them and dust them with icing sugar. They cost $6 bucks a pop so i make sure that it's a good reason to bake- and to keep it special. If I ate it every day it would loose its amazingness. But seriously, better than anything in the world. Seriously. That's why it's at the top. It's the best cake/fudge brownie. Go. Buy it now. NOW! I am making it my life's mission to cook something that tastes better than this. I'll probably be 90 by the time I do.

2 - Rowies Chewy Cookies
Ok, i'll admit, once i found a bit of rope in it, but i still buy them, WHY? Because they are divine! They are dry- but not chokey, and somehow taste creamy. I love the taste, it tastes like dairy gluten ridden cookies, and I like that!

3- Mint Choc Biscuits.
4 - Leda - Rum Balls.
Moist however weirdly fruity.
5 - Kev's Almond Bread
Really pricey but the snappy sweetness is surprisingly good!
6 - Choculence (it's worth the buy but not heavenly...per say)
7 - Freefrom “Choc Crunch cookies”

SAVOURY SNAK

1 - CCs corn chips with home made dip. 
Somehow these chips are the most addictive thing I've ever eaten. Even the coles brand.
2 - SAKATA balsamic tomato and basil
The bbq is not bad either. EXCELLENT for snaking with. YUMI's dips are CFGF! You can make your own by processing beans for a nice creamy one with chives, or making a mayo based one (be sure it is CFGF, some most definitely are like Praise 97% fat free, or make your own mayo!) adding capsicum or green or kalamata olives. What ever floats your boat! You could even make a curry and coconut flavour. I think that plain rice crackers are probably best for this. I found these ones SPICEY, I think they contain jalapeƱos from memory. I have a really good dip recipe, my italian cashew dip!
3 - Smart rice 90sec cook & Uncle Ben's “chicken savoury”
Great when you literally cannot be bothered! Zap in the microwave for 2 minutes and have the fun of instant noodles all over again!
4 - Sun rice “tomato and basil rice cakes”
These are great with an UNSALTED omelet. They really do not need MORE seasoning. PERFECTION. Or with tuna/chicken and salad on top! Corn Thins & Rice and corn thins for savoury and Rice thins for sweet toppings like fairy bread and sweet spreads.

PASTA

1 - San Remo Pasta-

Tastes like the real stuff, don't overcook and drain right away, add oil, mix, and then pop left overs in the fridge.


BREAD

1 - (corn) The Crusty Bread
It's the best but I cannot stomach that much corn any more.
2 - The real bread mix. 
Has a taste to it that is quite bland but not oceanic like most GF bread. This is because the Tapioca starch in it goes off really quickly and has a nasty oceanic taste to it.

3 - (non corn) Lauke easy baker gluten free flour (white) draws with
Lauke's bread turns out mostly good when I use this mix with extra xantha gum and also some almond meal and add a bit more water to compensate. This leaves it with a delicious nutty flavour. Even ground peanuts make it taste better without the price of almonds.
4 - Aldi Has no...bread mix &
5 - Orgran bread mix
Are great bases also, but not good after a few days. The texture of orgrans is especially weird. 

   

BREAKFAST



1 - Buckwheat pancake mix (orgran)
These taste healthy like wholemeal. Back when I ate bread I was a "whole meal multi-grain" type of person, and white bread tasted like "plastic" to me (as did pre sliced cheese), unless it was a continental style, nice and crunchy. Gluten free is crumbly, dry and chokey. But this batch of pancake reminded me of the old days! You could feel the roughage as you chewed (the good kind). After eating so much white rice basic boring bread, this healthy food eaten at breakfast, high in fibre, was what I craved. I spiked half the mix with cocoa. Sprinkled pancakes in the pan with choc chips, 100s and 1000s, bits of nut or fruit or hulled sunflower seeds. Yummy and healthy (well some of them...). But a bland mix will taste very "health food" and in my books, that's a bad thing! Serve with maple syrup and nuttalex. Mmm.

2 - Back to Nature “Cookie bitez”  
OMG. That is all. BUY IT NOW! Best. Breakfast. Ever. I do find that I cannot really do sweet things or else I get a tummy ache, but sometimes it's nice to endure for that sweetness.
3 - Lowan “Cocoa bombs
4 - Rice bubbles (lowan brand? Or freefrom...i can't remember)
Back to the old rice bubbles days! Slightly less good tasting, but I still like em lots!
 
 

CHOCOLATE

1 - Tropical source/Noble Choice “mint crunch dark chocolate bar”
Tastes GREAT! I love mint chocolate!  
2 - Pink Lady dark chocolate 
Actually tastes like dark chocolate should.

3 - Sweet Williams rice pop is ok, but pretty boring tasting, it's the texture that I think is awesome.
4 - Homebrand dark cooking chocolate bar 375g (and only 2 bucks). Doesn't taste heavenly but well worth the money and great for baking with! Perfect for baking with, not too sweet. It's awesome. Very unhealthy though...I basically use it for topping cake, and in brownies.


OTHER


Nuttalex - original
If you're baking use any cheap margarine, but if it's on pancakes or toast or anything that you are focusing on taste, this one takes the cake. Do mind it is about 4 times the price, so I only use this one on pancakes mainly.

Arborio rice
Great for risottos. It's creamy and it's the creaminess in food I miss, so this helps. People don't notice that we don't just miss the TASTE but we mostly miss food that doesn't make us choke it's so dry, or taste like water when it's supposed to be a viscous creamy milk.

Arnott's Corn Crisps are nice but corn irritates my mouth. (and then doesn't, and then does..etc).

Comments

Popular Posts