Pawpaw Vegan Cheese - Stinky Cheese! Vegan, Plant based, Dairy Free, Gluten Free



So I know it seems crazy (And i'm pretty sure i'm the first crazy person to think of this), but as I was about to take a bite of a pawpaw (which is a relatively new experience for me) I couldn't help but notice the distinct stinky shoe/cheese like flavour. Which, honestly I'm not a fan of. In cheese or in fruit! But the point was I got that familiar feeling of smelling a dairy cheese. How could this magical fruit do this?! So....I tinkered.


It was the correct smell.
It wasn't too sweet.
And it was the right colour!

That was reason enough for me!




Note that I dislike making cheeses entirely of nuts. It's too much! So, of course it will taste better with more but I aim not to go over 1/4c nuts in my recipes or else i need to ration it and not eat it in one day.

Here is the recipe (NOTE it is not finished yet and the edits are placed beside it)

NACHO STINKY CHEESE  - LOW NUT 

INGREDIENTS: 
1c UNSWEETENED soy milk, or water (i recommend soy) 
1/2c scant yellow pawpaw (can use more)
1/4c soaked cashews (needs more, probably double)
1 TB nutritional yeast (could use more)
1/2TB tapioca
1TB corn starch 
1/2t SCANT mustard powder 
1/2t SCANT onion powder (I would tone down so it tastes less overpoweringly of onion but i like onion)
1/2t SCANT lemon juice 
1/4t liquid smoke 
1/2t SCANT miso (can tone down slightly if wanted to keep sodium levels down, but i think it's a good level)

1- COMBINE all the above in a blender.
2- Blend well. You can taste here if you would like to alter flavours slightly- but it will taste of raw flour.
3- Put on stove, stirring continuously, about 6-10 minutes until it thickens and gets a bit glossy and more translucent. Pour in a container (a little oil or water splashed around will help it not stick).
4- Refrigerate without a lid until cooled (About an hour) and then put lid on and continue to set fully (another hour or so)
5- Slice and serve on crackers!


If you are tempted to taste it right away you may be overwhelmed by the mustard and onion powder. Once cooled it mellows some.

Taste-
So fresh, the aroma of pawpaw is more faint than I'd like. The onion is a bit strong and overpowering. The aroma really helps it seem like it is cheese.

Texture- 
“soft” like almost a gooey brie, more like laughing cow actually.


Comments

Popular Posts