Veganegg Follow Your Heart : Review - Vegan, egg free.



It's been about a year and a half since I've had scrambled eggs...I used to have it daily! Despite me being fond of eggs I haven't had any cravings but was curious to try this product anyway.




The Veganegg was made according to directions for the most part. (and yes, keep in mind it was sent AFTER the best before date, Luckyvitamin.com is a horrible site. Don't buy from them!)




The product however has fun facts about the brand and product, and easy to read directions too.


I'll start with appearance. You can see in the first image that it really is quite a close resemblance. I made a batch according to directions, but to the bit that was still left in my blender I added a lot of soy milk to. I often had my scrambles "creamy" and I never whisked the eggs first, I liked having pieces of yellow and white, and so I attempted to re-create this. It seemed, however, that the "yellow" is too strong in this product- never mind. As far as scrambles go in appearance, I say it's a pass! Almost identical.






Texture- Wow though. It truly does have the rubbery bouncy texture of scrambled eggs. Amazing.

Smell- Even more uncanny it smells more like egg than "black salt" smells like egg...so colour me impressed!

But most important, is taste. Did it taste like egg? I'm going to say no here, unfortunately. It did not remind me much of egg at all. It had a distinct....algae/protein powder type flavour. Not too strong, and not bad, but I think they did fail slightly in the taste department. But for once!-There is a product that nails appearance and smell so spot on it would have passed to onlookers who didn't taste it yet (smell and appearance spot on!), I was very impressed and had super high hopes for the taste aspect also (that fell short- but wasn't bad tasting at all, it just didn't taste like egg to me)!



It was very costly, the pack looks like it has 4 eggs but it actually is a powder that makes 12. I wouldn't use it as a baking replacement as there are many cheaper effective alternatives. I want to experience it as it shines, and tofu scrambles does not cut it!

The product even includes a recipe! How cute :)


Would I buy it again? Yes and no...The price and food miles of the product are the biggest factors working against a repurchase- but the fact that the taste falls short leads me debate whether the purchase is warranted at all. I think the veganegg would need to be used in recipes using "Scrambled" Egg or omelette so the fixing could further trick my taste buds into thinking it was a real egg, as flavour wise it just falls short (again i stress it doesn't taste bad, it is quite nice, but it just doesn't taste like egg...similar to bio-cheese...it smells like cheese but has a tastes like butter and a texture of butter/cheese hybrid.). I hope that in future they would further enhance the taste to bring it slightly closer to egg-then it would be a no-brainer purchase for me.

Comments

Popular Posts