The Perfect Block "Cheese" - Trials and Errors

There are times when I've demanded the ingredients to a meal because it tastes so much like cheese...the weird combinations NEVER include nuts- which is a weird BASE to almost all "cheese" recipes out there!
("almond cheese" pictured above)


This is the combinations that taste like cheese to me:
smoked tuna, olive oil, rice and lemon juice
coconut cream (and maybe red thai curry) and the fat that seeps out of sausages (possibly also the rice)
arborio rice, chicken stock, and white wine
keens curry powder and chicken breast with oil
Nuttalex and rice flour
Smoked canned, and deli chicken

Now I have realised that REAL cheese tastes oily, and creamy. And I think with these foods above there always seems to be an "oil/fat" content with a "creamy" based content and usually a bit of zang (lemon/wine/smoke/tuna) or spice flavouring (curry/stock/garlic). With this in mind, it's basically given me a building block for a recipe for cheese, and I'm thinking it's got to be predominently an oil based thing (not so healthy). Well, more oil than I'd like to think anyway.


So I guess one could make up a table, choose at least one from each category:

OIL/FAT
Olive Oil
Sausage Fat (Lard/Copha?)
Coconut Oil

PROTEIN
Chicken?
Smoked canned chicken

CREAMY
Starchy Rice (arborio)
Coconut Cream
Tapioca Starch

FLAVOUR
Curry
Chicken Stock
Garlic

ZANG
Lemon
White Wine
Smoke (Tuna, Chicken, Roast capsicum or smoke water etc)
Red Thai Curry Paste
Keens Curry Powder
Vege Spread (vegemite)

COLOUR - Yellow/orange
Keens curry powder (yellow)
Roast capsicum OIL (orange)
Sundried Tomatoes (orange/pink)

Usually people will mix a basis of a white nut with nutritional yeast, I disagree, I do not think that yeast tastes at all like cheese, it has got a similar pungent-ness to it, but I hate those pungent cheeses, and more favoured white cheeses, and mozzorella, tasty- the less matured ones. I love fresh cheeses, goat cheese, cottage cheese- none of these were strong in flavour or anything like nutritional yeast AT ALL!

In my trials so far I've found the oils from a sundried tomato jar, and roast capsicum jar do impart not only a nice colour, but a great flavour- not that similar to cheese- but it definitely enhances the recipe!

I'd like to experiment with
Wine, tapioca, oil from roast capsicum (imparting smokiness), coconut cream and possibly lemon.

Will add more here later when I come up with a recipe I love.


Almond feta Cheese:
1 part tapioca starch
rice flour
almond meal / pulp
1tb nuttalex
1/4t massel stock
shake garlic powder
2-3T sundried oil
Mix with water

Add agar agar next time?
Taste- was OK....not great. So much changes needed.

I made a tuna cheese with corn starch and such, it was this disgusting flesh texture. Looked like skin colour too. Nasty, haha. Never again! Not like that anyway.

Comments

Popular Posts