Review: Chicken Free Chunks and Strips - the alternative meat co. Gluten free, vegan, mock meat!



Looks like chicken? Errr, a bit but you an tell it's frankenstein chicken as it is darker- you could have gotten away with duck...

Does it taste like chicken? No, not even a little bit...

Do keep in mind that I prefer bland flavours and that I tasted these on their own, not in a "dish" it would be expected in. Just as a side dish.

You can see i put some chunks in the soup. The name "chunk" is kind of off putting really...I dunno why I'm roasting this review. I didn't HATE it, i just wouldn't buy it again.

Here is the bitten section you can see some "strands" happening in there and i didn't try to make them show.


Now on to the texture because this is what makes or breaks it...

Even though I didn't undercook i found it dry, it was way too dense and somewhat... "bouncy/springy" to the bite. Almost like a rubbery overcooked egg white. But it did have that almost "stick your teeth together" squeakiness that haloumi can have...they should try a haloumi actually! It did have that "shredded" texture however, but it held it's form too well and some "Fall apart" tenderness and juiciness would have greatly improved the texture!

It is chewy and dry- not tender, succulent and juicy- like good chicken should be. It tastes like a really tough old overcooked chicken, sort of. So, I'll stick to my tofu...at that price I want to be blown away!


Ingredients include:
Lemon and Thyme Strips
Vegetable Protein Strips: [86%] (Water, Soy Flour, Defatted Soy Flour, Soy Protein Isolate, Soy Fibre, Calcium Carbonate, Onion Powder, Salt, Herb, Sugar, Flavour), Water, Natural Flavour Blend, Canola Oil, Whole Lemon Puree (0.2%), Thyme (0.01%).



Zesty Lime and Chilli Chunks
Vegetable Protein Chucks [86.3%](Water, Soy Flour, Defatted Soy Flour, Soy Protein Isolate, Soy Fibre, Calcium Carbonate, Onion Powder, Salt, Herb, Sugar, Flavour), Water, Natural Flavour Blend, Canola Oil, Chilli (0.16%), Natural Lime Flavour (0.01%) .

It's basically glorified seasoned TVP.

I found the lemon and thyme strips too salty, and i'm finding the zesty lime and Chilli chunks too spicy. The flavourings is what makes this tasty- don't even think of putting it in a soup thought because it will fall right off!

I only rate it so harshly because I still have 3 other things that taste better- and dare i say, even tofu. This might be because I'm partial to delicate bland flavours however, as I prefer fry's patty and my sister prefers this product.

And all that considered, still the closest thing I've ever had to real chicken was made from a fruit in my kitchen. Really.

Comments

Popular Posts