Grill'd Vegetarian and Vegan Options - a taste test

Grill'd was a fave joint since I became gluten intolerant. I always trusted their burgers wouldn't make me sick!

Here is my sampling of their 3 vegetarian burgers, and my opinion of them with my Mediterranean palate.

Calories are based on my gluten free bun which is the highest calorie bun by a LOT.

When I eat out I'm not after seeking 100% compliance because I only eat out once a month, i try to enjoy myself and the food and company. I believe, like an art gallery, we should aim for preservation 2/3 of the time, and LIVING 1/3 of the time. Just as they store the artworks for 2/3 of the time and display it to enjoy for 1/3 of the time :). Keep this in mind. Also the vegan options I tried while i had been relatively strictly WFPB so the oily comments may be because I'm not used to oil.

To make any item on the menu vegan, Grill'd advises to remove such ingredients:
 pesto, tzatziki, sour cream, Caesar dressing, and of course all the mayo & cheese varieties

LET THE TASTE TESTS BEGIN!


GARDEN GOODNESS / $11.5 / VEGETARIAN / 810 CAL
Premium quality veggie pattie with beetroot, tasty cheese, avocado, salad, relish & herbed mayo

Very nice. Not much to say really. The patty was not what I expected, but VERY tasty, ingredients being:

(Vegetables (77%) (Potato, Carrot, Pumpkin, Peas, Onion, Cauliflower, Spinach), Corn Starch, Rice Flour, Canola Oil, Salt, Baking Powder (450,500), Guar Gum, Spice).
eetroot, tas I recall tasting a lot of potato, rice flour and salt. I wasn't expecting a white patty! But it was really very delicious! The cheese is of course amazing but I am well enough in my vegan journey to turn it down now. This burger can be veganised by omitting the herbed mayo and cheese.  I would love to try it with added pineapple!

.


FIELD OF DREAMS / $11.5 / VEGETARIAN / 688CAL
Grilled field mushroom, basil pesto, roasted peppers, tasty cheese, salad & herbed mayo

The pesto was awesome and the cheese made it tasty! Love it, yum! Vegetarian. I hate basil and this one with pesto in it was still amazing! 

.


VEGGIE VITALITY (NEW) / $11.5 / VEGAN / 712CAL
Beetroot, sweet potato, spinach & quinoa veggie pattie with avocado, golden pineapple, carrot & cos lettuce


I wasn't fond of the earthiness of the patty from the beets or potato I assume- or the spice, or texture.......but the rest of it was REALLY good. Next time I'll try the mushroom patty and then i'll make my pick or my new favourite to push 'Simon Says' out of the way!

Would I recommend? Yes, if you like spicy earthy food. If not, remove /replace the patty and enjoy it for the veggies. 


.



---------my ensembles --------


 VEGGIE VITALITY (NEW)  - with changes / $11.5 / VEGAN / approx 712CAL
Beetroot, sweet potato, spinach & quinoa veggie pattie (SWAPPED WITH GRILLED FIELD MUSHROOM) with avocado, golden pineapple (THEY FORGOT THE PINEAPPLE!), carrot & cos lettuce


The mushroom was incredibly smokey and tasty, but weird tasting in places. The mushroom also had soaked up all the oil, it was incredibly oily and distracted from the eating experience. All i could think was "my tongue is all slippery!"
Disappointed they forgot the pineapple though, I'm sure it would have helped "freshen" things up. It was fat, fat, fat and a tiny amount of veg. Ah well.

Would I recommend? NO!



VEGGIE VITALITY (NEW)  - with changes / $11.5 / VEGAN / approx 712CAL
Beetroot, sweet potato, spinach & quinoa veggie pattie (SWAPPED WITH GARDEN GOODNESS PATTIE) with avocado, golden pineapple, carrot & cos lettuce


Original patty:
Vegetables (72%) (Beetroot, Potato, Sweet Potato, Onion, Spinach), Corn Starch, Rice Flour, Quinoa, Canola Oil, Herbs And Spices, Salt, Baking Powder (450, 500), Garlic, Vegetable Gum (Guar)

Swapped patty for:
Vegetables (77%) (Potato, Carrot, Pumpkin, Peas, Onion, Cauliflower, Spinach), Corn Starch, Rice Flour, Canola Oil, Salt, Baking Powder (450,500), Guar Gum, Spice)

Gluten free bun:
Water, Maize Starch, Rice Flour, Coconut Cream, Canola Oil, Coconut Sugar, Psyllium Husk, Iodized Salt, Yeast, Citrify, Sesame Seed



Taste is magnificent, love it. Will get this next time. It's an easy order too! This is the one i will be ordering from now on! (only took like 6 tries haha)

Comments

  1. My Granddaughters are always saying I should try this, but now lucky for your review I won't. Love your blog, and lucky to have found you especially as your Australian which means your recipes have Australian ingredients.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Don't get me wrong, I love grill'd. Back in the day I would get the Simon Says. The Garden Goodness is my favourite, then the Field of Dreams, then the Veggie Vitality. If you eat always whole food plant based it could seem oily. But it is very good. I don't like the Veggie Vitality patty. They left out the pineapple and I recall liking it the first time I tried it- so that may have been why i was underwhelmed this time, but i'm def going to try vegan-ising the Garden Goodness before i visit it the Veggie Vitality again (and possibly try it completely patty-less), and ensure they add the pineapple!

      I do use a lot of Australian ingredients but find myself often purchasing from America to acquire some more exotic ingredients at a better price. :)

      You're the first commenter of my blog, so thank you so much for reaching out with such positive feedback! :)

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts