Healthy Mini Donuts- 520 calories for 12! Gluten free, Vegan, Refined sugar free


C'mon aren't they cute?! 

So I was with my nephew at the shops and we walked past Wendy's and he was upset he wasn't allowed to eat the colourful donuts, I told him "Worry not little one, I'm going to make you BETTER ones!" - I'm paraphrasing a little. So I had about 3 days to come up with an epic healthy donut that had to LOOK colourful and taste good enough as a sweet food for a 3 year old and that it was not made out of hay and grass.

So my rules I set myself was to use only plants in natural form as much as possible (no sugar, no syrups, no dyes, no flours!) and for it to be gluten free- in case he hated them, so I could eat them. I wanted to use cinnamon and berries to help lower the blood sugar spike of this sweet treat. While all ingredients are healthy, they are still high in natural sugars and relatively high in calories (compared to veggies, greens and berries) so it should still be eaten in responsible amounts.

I only took a few batches before I made it. He told me he wanted apple flavour more than banana (but I know he loves banana more so I made that too) and he said he wanted green ones and red ones. It's funny because on the day he tasted them all but left the purple and green ones. Anyway! Kids are weird... The frosting is sugar free and natural- so it will get matte and start changing colour with time. These keep in the fridge a few days. :)
(I've been informed that by the end of the day he smashed through the left over donuts- so I guess they were quite the hit!)

At 45 calories each, comparing with 70 from a mini donut at donut king, these aren't exactly an impressive diet food option- but they are healthy as far as donuts go. You can more or less find all the ingredients in a bowl of oatmeal with fruit- give or take a few (bicarb soda, spray oil on pan, sweet potato)!


This recipe is super easy, it's so easy, I'm mashing the ingredients and method in 1 go! They are moist, bouncy, nothing like a gluten free donut. They area pretty good match to a donut consistency but a little less "chokeing you" with their dense-ness. I dunno, is it just me but eating a donut is like eating peanut butter, it can overwhelm my eating mechanisms. lol. Without any further ado, here is the easy peasy recipe! 


You will need:
TO DO
the following
You will need 2 batches to make 12 mini donuts (520 calories total with no icing). They are approximately 45 calories each! I like to do 6 apple cinnamon and 6 banana peanut. My preference is apple, so if I make it for myself I will double batch apple and cinnamon. (I HATE cooked banana).

APPLE CINNAMON approx 260 calories
1/4c oats
1/2tb flax
1/8t baking soda
1/4t scant cinnamon - BE CAREFUL, don't let a kid eat more than 1/4t cinnamon a few times a week.
BLEND. Put in bowl.
1t Vanilla
1/8c water or plant milk
3 dates
and 1/4 apple
BLEND
COMBINE in bowl. 
Add in 1/4t lemon juice. Stir in briefly.
Pour till almost top of mould. Cook for 6-8 minutes at 220 C
DONE
Take out and let rest 3 minutes before removing, but do remove or they will sweat and go soggy

BANANA PEANUT approx 285 calories
1/8c oats
1/8 peanut flour (I have not tested with peanut butter, up to you)
1/2tb flax
1/8t baking soda
BLEND. Tip in bowl.
1t Vanilla
1/8c water or plant milk
3 dates or more if you want it super sweet
1/4 banana
BLEND
COMBINE in bowl. 
Add 1/4t lemon juice. Stir in briefly.
Pour till almost top of mould. Cook for 6-8 minutes at 220 C
DONE
Take out and let rest 3 minutes before removing, but do remove or they will sweat and go soggy


FROSTING: Aim for a buttercream-pancake batter consistency

Sweet Potato
Cook a white sweet potato. (you will need less than a quarter of a medium one, or about 1/4c) Blend with enough almond milk to make a thick as possible batter. To this you can add flavorings in Tablespoon batches:
PINK
5 Raspberries, strained
PASTEL PURPLE
5 Blueberries, strained
DEEP PURPLE
15 Blueberries/Blackberries and a few Raspberries, strained


Peanut
PEANUT
peanut flour, almond milk (dates optional)
REESES PEANUTS
peanut flour, almond milk, cocoa powder (dates optional) - this one is a bit bitter, could use a sweetener of sorts, like stevia or maple syrup, or erythritol
PINK
Push 6 raspberries through a sieve, add 1t apple sauce and peanut flour
BUTTERCREAM FUSCHIA - PEANUT-BUTTER AND JELLY FLAVOUR
10 raspberries, strained, 1 tb or so of peanut flour, 1t apple sauce- make it thick. Will apply like a thick buttercream frosting!


One of these donuts is not like the other....
you can see I wanted to use all the frosting on one donut! The buttercream fuschia!


Other
HULK GREEN
Mash an avocado, i added maple syrup because I know he hates them, but you could add nothing, or stevia, or lemon...up to you. I didn't add matcha because I don't think it's wise to feed it to children due to aluminum content, but I would add it if making it for me. You may need a blender to make a smoother paste.
CREAMY COCOA
Add some cocoa and almond milk to avocado and mash/blend, you may need maple syrup, erythritol or some fruit/dates to sweeten it.
RICH COCOA
Cashew butter, almond milk and cocoa.

You will have left over, I just use it up later in the week and eat it with my fruit salad bowls - like to stuff apricots too, or dip fruit in.


Don't forget! While icing is still wet you can dip it in nuts and seeds and even sprinkle with dried fruit, or top with some edible flowers to make it all cute!




SaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSave
SaveSaveSaveSaveSaveSave

Comments

Popular Posts