Zero Waste? Sustainable in the Kitchen?

Hi guys!

I consider myself quite the hippie. Due to allergies I make my own deodarant. It really really honestly works, i've asked those around me for their honest oppinion. Most recipes are "Dry" or "stick" based. The dry one isn't as effective imo. The "stick" based ones tend to use bees wax- but i have a recipe that uses cocoa butter- so not only does it hold shape but it smells like chocolate-c'mon chocolate dudes! I use Australian Lemon Myrtle oil too, and it's fresh citrusy scent has been the source of many a compliment!

Anyway that is totally opposite the point.

Today I'm going to talk about how to be more sustainable and zero waste in the kitchen!

Here are my 10 tips:

1- COMPOST your scraps. This is a given!
2- Buy glass storage containers for left overs and for outings. This is not only safer for your food, but also is better on the environment once you discard the container. I recycle jars for this purpose for bits of hummus or whatever left overs i have as they don't take up much floor space of the fridge either! Actually Jars can be used to store any food in the pantry too, not just leftovers!
3- Use silicone re-usable seals instead of cling wrap. This stuff really works so long as you use a glazed or glass deep surface. It doesn't act so well ones the edges touch any moisture. or have to bend around food. It must be taught, against a glossy surface. They really do make the strongest seal you would think. I also have the "non stretch" kind that you just push, this works great for ramekins or mugs for storing foods.



4- Fresh Produce. Unfortunately, the stickers aren't recyclable, but compared to a bag of frozen or pre-packaged veg- they really do not have much waste to leave behind, and produce is always better for us than processed foods!
5- Bulk Bins. This is a great way if you re-use the zip lock bag over and over or just bring in your own jar or reusable product bags. Sure you will pay a bit extra for the extra weight- but think of it as a donation to mother earth to help her keep kicking!
6- Cook it yourself! Buy beans in bulk and cook it yourself instead of using the cans. I do tend to buy the cans, but I also recycle them to use as pots in the garden! Win win! Cook in bulk and freeze in batches for the convenience of ready to eat meals! Making plant milk yourself also saves all the traveling of water filled packages. Just thing of the amount of trucks carrying 22 almonds (i think that's about how much in 1 Litre of water) comparted to cartons of litres of almond milk! You probably have about a quarter the fuel and travel needs. So do the earth and yourself a favour- make it yourself!
7- Buy loose leaf tea! I bought this neat contraption from Dreamfarm. Mine doesn't align 100% and so my dandelion tea does leak out, but you can also buy re-usable tea bags. Don't forget to compost the leaves!

8- Make your own ACV out of scraps! It's really easy and totally basically free! Buy a bunch of apples on the cheap. Peel and core. Make an apple pie or whatever. Through all the scraps in a jar and cover with filtered water, a bit of water kefir, and then some sugar. Leave it to ferment and then remove the scraps and store once it has sat for about 6-8 weeks to brew.  (this is off the top of my head, some googling will be in order for you i think!)
9- Grow your own! Similar to cook it yourself, just walking out in the yard, picking a few leaves, and walking back in- leaves the TINIEST of all impacts on the planet. Not 1 once of fuel is used! And on that note, anytime y
ou are rinsing veggies save the water and return it back to the garden! Grey water is good for this too.


yes, these are all from my yard!

10- Wash disposable items. I wash zip-lock bags until they get a hole in them, then I throw them away. I am trying to avoid using them all together. 
11- Re-use shopping bags by turning them into plarn, and making shopping bags out of them! 
And most importantly....eat vegan! My mother has made me a few!

And lastly the 3 R's come into play. Reduce, re-use and recycle!




SaveSaveSaveSave
SaveSave

Comments

Popular Posts